Sunday, January 16, 2011

(my january friend)

Week 2 of Interim 2011 has come and gone. It feels like January is flying by! Here are some highlights from the past week:

-Our house had a Bang! party. We dressed up like we were from the Wild West and had a night of cards and cocktails.

[Carley, Mary, & Me in our Wild West attire.]

[Mitchell and Jake came as "Indians" - not too sure if that's politically correct.]


-Friday was another successful CUPCAKE FRIDAY! I baked an army of cupcakes for my class. Not only that, but my housemate Carley also brought CUPCAKE FRIDAY to her class this week... awesome.




-Luke was out of town this weekend, but luckily I had Netflix to keep me company.
I finally got around to watching Australian film Mary and Max. Adam Elliot's film uses clay-animation to tell a beautiful, raw story about two pen pals: an 8-year-old Australian girl and a 44-year-old obese New Yorker. Don't let the animation factor fool you - this is not a "kids movie". There are elements of it that are honest and consequently dark. It addresses real life issues that both kids and adults struggle with on a daily basis such as loneliness, death, and mental illness. I highly recommend Mary and Max, and hope to someday make a film as emotionally riveting and visually stimulating.


-Getting to watch noir films from the 1940s & 1950s everyday in my interim class is such a lovely experience. One can never fall too in love with Humphrey Bogart or get too sick of being seduced by the sexy, dangerous, independent, mentally unstable femme fatales. From watching all of these films, I've been inspired to dress like a lady of that day.

[Carley has been letting me borrow her curlers for experimenting.]

[My first attempt - not exactly an Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, or Barbara Stanwyck - but fun all the same.]


-Last night Mary, Ben, and I went bar hopping in Eastown. It was a lot of fun going out with them. They are both going to be gone next semester - Mary to York and Ben to DC. I'm going to miss them a lot!

[At The Meanwhile.]

*

Yup, this past week was swell. I'm more than ready for Week 3 - bring it on!

1 comment: