Friday, December 31, 2010

(maybe this year will be better than the last)

It’s back… my list of defining songs for the year! (you can see last year’s here)

Here is a list of songs that “define” my 2010. Not necessarily my favorite or the best…but simply what songs will forever be tied in my mind with the past year. Many of them weren’t even released this year. They are in the order of when during the year I listened to them the most (for example the first songs define the first months of 2010, the last songs define closer to the present). I also included a brief explanation for some of them.

1. West Coast – Coconut Records

I talk out loud like you’re still around…

2. Our Love Is Here To Stay – Ella Fitzgerald

Gotta love Ella. After I made this my text tone in January I think my brothers never wanted to hear the song again…

It's very clear, our love is here to stay - Not for a year but ever and a day.

3. Kick Drum Heart – The Avett Brothers

I won't look back anymore, I left the people that do – It’s not the chase that I love, It’s me following you.

4. Old Number Seven – The Devil Makes Three

Tennessee Whiskey got me drinking in heaven.

5. Here Comes The Summer – The Fiery Furnaces

You knew it wouldn't be too soon, We'll have to wait until it's June…

6. A Call from the Vatican – Penélope Cruz

From the musical tribute to Fellini’s masterpiece, this song will forever be tied in my mind to the stress and thrill of Oscar season. It also sealed the deal for making Penélope Cruz my number one celebrity crush – holy sexy!

Who's not wearing any clothes? I'm not, my darling.

7. Fantastic Mr. Fox AKA Petey’s Song – Jarvis Cocker

From Wes Anderson’s most recent film. Enough said.

Shot the tail off the cuss with a fox-shooting gun

8. Gotta Have You – The Weepies*

I try to make you mad at me over the phone…

9. Little Secrets – Passion Pit

This song brings back dancing around the honors floor lobby in the wee hours of the morning when I camped out there after staying awake for days on end. Hoorah slap-happiness!

Now painting rainbows on my ugly face…

10. The Gambler – fun.*

I knew nothing of romance, but it was love at second sight.

11. Little Lion Man – Mumford & Sons

It was your heart on the line, I really fucked it up this time.

12. Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) – Lady Gaga

Nothing beats a road trip to Indiana with a car full of dudes belting Lady Gaga. Trust me on this one.

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom

13. Home – Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros*

My defining song of the year! From late night youtube videos to hot summer days driving with the windows down, from dancing at parties & shows to missing the hell out of people, this song is guaranteed to put a smile on my face and make me feel alive!

Laugh until we think we'll die, Barefoot on a summer night - Never could be sweeter than with you.

14. The Kids – B.o.B. feat. Janelle Monae

Was permanently stuck in my head all of director’s training.

Will you run or will you shine your light? Tell a story of live and try?

15. 20 Miles – Deer Tick

I think of your smile, I'm in love with your teeth.

16. Coin Laundry – Lisa Mitchell

Have you got a little old house & a lemon tree?

17. Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Carlisle

Probably my favorite new repeat-after-me song. Enjoyed best when surrounded by seventy 8-year-olds screaming it at you.

They say in heaven love comes first, We'll make heaven a place on earth!

18. Daylight – Matt & Kim

I don't pick up my phone, because in the daylight anywhere feels like home.

19. Coquet Coquette – Of Montreal*

Saw them in concert, they had a new album come out this year, and let me tell you what – I don’t think Kevin Barnes has ever let me down.

With you I can only see my black-light constellations & other shit I don't think I have the language to say

20. Dammit – Honeywagon

A repeat song from last year – but a cover! Bluegrass covers of blink-182, yes please!

I've been here for too long to face this on my own

21. Pizza Day – The Aquabats

I have probably quoted this song to every person that lives within 50 miles of me. Sorry about that. I just can’t deny Travis Barker’s former band when they are singing about burritos and pizza.

The Best Day of the Week

22. People – Andrew Jackson Jihad

And people are my religion, because I believe in them.

23. Four Chords – The Axis of Awesome

That's all it takes to be a star.

24. Son of a Gun – The Vaselines

I don’t know how I only discovered The Vaselines this year, since they were Kurt Cobain’s “most favorite songwriters in the whole world”. I think I owe a thank you to long hours doing homework in 76 Coffee for this one.

The raining always starts when you go away.

25. I Like Giants – Kimya Dawson

Cause all girls feel too big sometimes, Regardless of their size.

26. Levi Johnston’s Blues – Ben Folds & Nick Hornby*

I'm a fucking redneck, I like to hang out with the boys, play some hockey, do some fishing and kill some moose.

27. Man Overboard – blink-182

You think the blink coverband would be enough blink-182 to define my year? Not a chance.

You can only lean on me for so long…

28. Time Warp – The Rocky Horror Picture Show

In honor of all the Rocky Horror shows I’ve had the opportunity to participate in this year! Let’s continue doing the Time Warp into 2011 you all – Woodland Celebration Cinema every Friday & Saturday night!

It’s just a jump to the left…

29. Bed Intruder Song – Antoine Dodson feat. Kelly Dodson

I will shamelessly admit that this song gets stuck in my head all the time.

He's climbin' in your windows, He's snatchin' your people up

30. Frankie’s Gun – The Felice Brothers

My favorite band that I’ve been introduced to this year. Thanks Mister Luke Dennison.

Called my mama told her in the dresser there's ten or twenty dollars but there ain't no lesser - That's for to take my sister to the picture show.

*= songs I’ve heard performed live this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment